2020 Novel Coronavirus
Monday, January 27, 2020
2020 Novel Coronavirus update:
Screening for 2019-nCoV - If you are presenting with the following:
1. Fever and acute respiratory illness, or pneumonia
AND any of the following:
2. Travel to Wuhan, China in the 14 days before the onset of illness
Close contact with a confirmed or probable case of 2019-nCoV
Close contact with a person with acute respiratory illness who has been to Wuhan, China within 14 days prior to their illness onset
*Some people, such as the elderly and people who are immunocompromised, may not develop a fever. The presence of new/worse cough or shortness of breath may be enough to trigger further precautions.
APPLY PRECAUTIONS*, REPORT AS REQUIRED
Ask Patients to:
- Wash their hands;
- Wait in separate isolation area if possible or keep a two-metre distance from other patients and clinic staff;
- Wear a surgical mask.
Initiate Droplet and Contact Precautions for Suspected Coronavirus Cases:
- Apply vigilant hand hygiene;
- Use gloves, gowns, fit-tested, seal-checked N95 respirators and eye protection when entering the same room as the patient or when transporting or caring for the patient;
- Postpone elective procedures that generate droplets (e.g. dental care).
* For more information on Routine Practices and Additional Precautions,